October 09, 2019 at 09:35AM
Global trade tensions and their potential impact on crude demand are more significant for oil markets than recent attacks on energy infrastructure in the Middle East, according to Helima Croft, the managing director and global head of commodity strategy at RBC Capital Markets. “We still have huge fears about demand. That is what’s weighing on this market,” Croft told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Europe” Wednesday.
Oil prices fell for a third consecutive day Wednesday amid a renewal of tensions between Washington and Beijing. This comes ahead of a resumption of talks between the world’s two largest economies, set for Thursday. Benchmark Brent crude futures were trading at $58.09 per barrel Wednesday morning, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) was trading at $52.49 per barrel.
Over the last 12 months, Brent crude prices have fallen from a peak of around $84 per barrel amid fears of a repeat of rising supply and faltering demand — the same situation that precipitated a dramatic fall in oil prices from mid-2014 to 2016. Prices stabilized largely thanks to OPEC and non-OPEC producers, including Russia, agreeing a deal in late 2016 to limit production.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/huge-fears-about-demand-not-middle-east-tensions-are-weighing-on-oil-markets-helima-croft-says-20191009/
Selected by fonecable.com
Search Web: ‘Huge fears’ about demand — not Middle East tensions — are weighing on oil markets, Helima Croft says
- NEWS: Japanese government downgrades economic assessment for the month of October October 18, 2019 at 09:46AM
- NEWS: Cable back above 1.29 as pound pares earlier losses October 18, 2019 at 09:39AM
- Dollar Is Not the Haven It Used to Be for EM Currency Traders
- NEWS: Betting firm that called May votes sees Johnson beaten in tomorrow’s showdown October 18, 2019 at 09:33AM
- Forex – Pound Slips Ahead of Vote; Lira Surges on Syria Ceasefire
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.0789 (vs. yesterday at 7.0746) October 17, 2019 at 02:15AM
- NEWS: More on the Australian jobs report and the drop in the unemployment rate October 17, 2019 at 01:40AM
- NEWS: FX option expiries for Thursday October 17 at the 10am NY cut October 17, 2019 at 02:14AM
- NEWS: Singapore exports fall for the seventh month October 17, 2019 at 01:56AM
- NEWS: Ahead of the Australian jobs report due at the bottom of the hour - a look at the Asia FX session so far October 17, 2019 at 01:22AM
- AUD/USD Breakout Higher in Focus as Australian Unemployment Drops
- NEWS: AUD higher on the unemployment rate drop in Australia, September jobs report October 17, 2019 at 01:36AM
- NEWS: Australian employment report: Unemployment rate 5.2% (expected 5.3%, prior 5.3%) October 17, 2019 at 01:30AM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - European session 17 October 2019 October 17, 2019 at 06:36AM
- NEWS: European pre-market: Aussie holds gains after slightly firmer jobs report October 17, 2019 at 06:09AM