August 16, 2019 at 10:14AM
The trade war between the U.S. and China has dragged on for more than a year, and it’s starting to turn into a brewing currency war, said analysts. The yuan depreciated past 7 per dollar last week for the first time since the global financial crisis of 2008, which prompted the U.S. Treasury Department to designate China as a currency manipulator. In a recent report, the Bank of America (BofA) Merrill Lynch Global Research predicts what might happen to the Chinese yuan in three scenarios.
Scenario 1: A full blown trade war — the yuan depreciates 10%.
Chinese imports from the U.S. are only a third of American imports from China, the bank pointed out. This means that China cannot match the U.S. tariffs in terms of quantity. However, one thing Beijing can do is to devalue the yuan by 10%, canceling off the impact of a 10% tariff on Chinese goods, BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research analysts said.
Scenario 2: A drawn out impasse — the yuan remains “unchanged.”
“In a protracted impasse, RMB is likely to remain range bound, only because Beijing would be wary of both angering the US by allowing the RMB to weaken or adding even more headwinds facing Chinese exporters by allowing the RMB to strengthen,” the bank said, referring to the yuan’s other name, the renminbi.
Scenario 3: An imminent trade deal: The yuan appreciates “modestly.”
In this situation, the value of the yuan will go up but will be limited.
This is because “any deal is likely to include stipulation that would limit the room for any future RMB depreciation,” the bank explained. “If Beijing feels that the downside for the RMB is limited, it is likely to want to limit the upside for the RMB, especially if it thinks any RMB appreciation becomes difficult to reverse politically.”
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/how-the-chinese-yuan-is-likely-to-perform-in-three-trade-war-scenarios-20190816/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Comments from Boston Fed President Rosengren coming up August 19, 2019 at 06:16PM
- NEWS: Italy’s PD has had ‘good’ informal talks with 5-Star on a new government – report August 19, 2019 at 06:07PM
- NEWS: Canadian dollar slumps despite the positive backdrop August 19, 2019 at 05:44PM
- Gold & Volatility Drop, Stocks Rise as Trade War Jitters Ebb
- US Dollar Rises Ahead of Jackson Hole, US-China Trade Talks
Top Posts & Pages
- Gold Price Forecast: RSI Sell Signal Takes Shape
- NEWS: China interest rate liberalisation announced- one step closer to free-floating yuan August 19, 2019 at 01:57AM
- NEWS: More from Trump - China wants to make a deal, we'll see what happens August 18, 2019 at 09:39PM
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Could Accelerate If It Breaks $10,600
- NEWS: More on China lending reforms - new bank loans to be cheaper from this week August 19, 2019 at 04:14AM
- Yuan wobbles on Trump trade comments, details of China rate reforms awaited
- US Dollar May Rise vs Nordic FX From Trade Wars, FOMC Minutes
- NEWS: Weekend Italy: 5-Star Movement says Salvini no longer a credible partner August 18, 2019 at 11:08PM
- NEWS: Event risk playbook for the week beginning August 19 August 18, 2019 at 03:23PM
- NEWS: Japan - Reuters Tankan report - manufacturing index hits lowest since 2013 August 19, 2019 at 12:03AM