August 13, 2019 at 03:08PM
Crisis in Argentina grips the headlines today. The Argentine peso (ARS) collapsed 30 percent in a matter of minutes yesterday while the stock market caved 48 percent before recovering. Bitcoiners quickly jumped on the narrative to promote the world’s dominant cryptocurrency. Many claimed that bitcoin was “surging” in Argentina while others encouraged locals to “find safety” in bitcoin. But the narrative was quickly slammed with hard reality and facts from Alex Kruger, a macro trader and Argentine local. Far from rushing to bitcoin, he said locals are seeking refuge in the dollar and pointed to tiny BTC volumes in Argentina yesterday.
Bitcoin is often touted as a hedge during currency crises. And to an extent, we have seen some evidence of this. When banks confiscated deposits in Cyprus, there was a noticeable spike in BTC prices. And some Venezuelans have found refuge in bitcoin during the recent hyperinflation crisis. But the impact of a country’s currency crisis on bitcoin is not immediate. As Kruger explains, there was no dramatic flight to bitcoin in Argentina yesterday.
Former Bloomberg writer Camila Russo claimed bitcoin was “surging” in Argentina. She pointed to the BTC premium on Argentine crypto exchange Buenbit. But the premium wasn’t driven by high demand. As Kruger explained, it’s just an illiquid exchange. Only 19 bitcoins were traded on Buenbit yesterday. It doesn’t take much to distort the premiums on such a small market. Kruger maintained his long-term bullish stance on bitcoin and said Argentines should absolutely own some. The reality, however, is that BTC isn’t (yet) the safe haven of choice during this Argentine currency crisis.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/no-argentina-is-not-flocking-to-btc-in-crisis-says-macro-trader-20190813/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Trump says Fed should cut by 100 bps and restart QE August 19, 2019 at 04:30PM
- Weekly Trade Levels: US Dollar, EUR/USD, USD/CAD, Gold, Silver & SPX
- NEWS: EURUSD back below 1.1100. Can it stay below now? August 19, 2019 at 04:20PM
- NEWS: The FX market is subdued today August 19, 2019 at 04:03PM
- US Markets Analysis: Dollar Index (DXY), Dow Jones (DJI) Price Outlook
Top Posts & Pages
- Gold Price Forecast: RSI Sell Signal Takes Shape
- NEWS: China interest rate liberalisation announced- one step closer to free-floating yuan August 19, 2019 at 01:57AM
- NEWS: More from Trump - China wants to make a deal, we'll see what happens August 18, 2019 at 09:39PM
- NEWS: More on China lending reforms - new bank loans to be cheaper from this week August 19, 2019 at 04:14AM
- Yuan wobbles on Trump trade comments, details of China rate reforms awaited
- US Dollar May Rise vs Nordic FX From Trade Wars, FOMC Minutes
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Could Accelerate If It Breaks $10,600
- NEWS: Weekend Italy: 5-Star Movement says Salvini no longer a credible partner August 18, 2019 at 11:08PM
- NEWS: Event risk playbook for the week beginning August 19 August 18, 2019 at 03:23PM
- NEWS: Japan - Reuters Tankan report - manufacturing index hits lowest since 2013 August 19, 2019 at 12:03AM