August 13, 2019 at 05:43PM
The bitcoin price slid below the $11,000 mark for the first time in more than a week on Tuesday, as the flagship cryptocurrency’s burgeoning inverse correlation with the S&P 500 came back to bite investors. Bitcoin had entered the day trading sideways in the low $11,000s, where it had more or less languished since the Saturday sell-off that followed BTC’s brief foray above $12,000 last week. The dam broke around 10 am ET, and the bitcoin price cascaded below $11,000 to breach its lowest level since August 4.
As of 10:35 am ET, BTC/USD had fallen as low as $10,863 on Bitstamp. The leading cryptocurrency last traded at $10,909 for a 24-hour decline of 3.45%. Notably, the bitcoin price’s steep decline was accompanied by a phenomenal rally on Wall Street. The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 500 points (nearly 2%), the S&P 500 rose 1.84%, and the Nasdaq cleared the 8,000 level following a 2.32% bounce. The CBOE VIX, which measures implied market volatility, fell 15%.
As CCN reported, bitcoin has developed an inverse correlation with the S&P 500. When the stock market bellwether falls, bitcoin rises – and vice versa. Crypto investors have cheered that inverse correlation as trade war volatility has sent major stock indices into a tailspin, but it was much less welcome this morning. As demonstrated in the chart below, the S&P 500 spiked nearly 1.5% as the bitcoin price endured a loss of equivalent magnitude.
President Trump had previously announced that 10% tariffs on $300 billion worth of Chinese goods would kick in on September 1, and analysts warned that the White House might hike those tariffs to 25% in the coming months. His announcement, which came via tweet, thrust the stock market toward a vicious sell-off – and the bitcoin price toward a spectacular rally – in the days that followed.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/newsflash-bitcoin-price-craters-below-11000-as-trump-stuns-market-20190813/
Selected by fonecable.com
- US Dollar Rises Ahead of Jackson Hole, US-China Trade Talks
- NEWS: Pence: Beijing needs to respect integrity of Hong Kong’s laws August 19, 2019 at 05:03PM
- NEWS: Trump says Fed should cut by 100 bps and restart QE August 19, 2019 at 04:30PM
- Weekly Trade Levels: US Dollar, EUR/USD, USD/CAD, Gold, Silver & SPX
- NEWS: EURUSD back below 1.1100. Can it stay below now? August 19, 2019 at 04:20PM
Top Posts & Pages
- Gold Price Forecast: RSI Sell Signal Takes Shape
- NEWS: China interest rate liberalisation announced- one step closer to free-floating yuan August 19, 2019 at 01:57AM
- NEWS: More from Trump - China wants to make a deal, we'll see what happens August 18, 2019 at 09:39PM
- NEWS: More on China lending reforms - new bank loans to be cheaper from this week August 19, 2019 at 04:14AM
- Yuan wobbles on Trump trade comments, details of China rate reforms awaited
- US Dollar May Rise vs Nordic FX From Trade Wars, FOMC Minutes
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Could Accelerate If It Breaks $10,600
- NEWS: Weekend Italy: 5-Star Movement says Salvini no longer a credible partner August 18, 2019 at 11:08PM
- NEWS: Event risk playbook for the week beginning August 19 August 18, 2019 at 03:23PM
- NEWS: Japan - Reuters Tankan report - manufacturing index hits lowest since 2013 August 19, 2019 at 12:03AM