August 05, 2019 at 01:52PM
Trump Says Weaker Chinese Yuan Is ‘Called Currency Manipulation’
Author: Bloomberg | Post link: https://www.investing.com/news/forex-news/trump-says-weaker-chinese-yuan-is-called-currency-manipulation-1945521
President Donald Trump said the latest decline in the yuan is “called ‘currency manipulation”’ and indicated he’d like the Federal Reserve to act to counter the Chinese action.
“China dropped the price of their currency to an almost a historic low,” Trump tweeted Monday. “It’s called ‘currency manipulation.’ Are you listening Federal Reserve? This is a major violation which will greatly weaken China over time!”
Trump’s comments come after China responded to the president’s threat to raise tariffs on $300 billion of imports from the Asian nation, letting the yuan tumble to the weakest level in more than a decade and asking state-owned companies to suspend imports of U.S. agricultural products.
The president’s tweet suggests he’s continuing to goad the U.S. central bank to ease monetary policy to counter the action rather than instruct the Treasury Department to directly intervene to weaken the greenback. The Fed lowered rates by a quarter percentage point last week in response to a darkening global outlook and uncertainty caused by Trump’s trade war, and signaled the door was open to further moves if needed.
Trump said last month he hadn’t ruled out taking action to weaken the U.S. currency, though White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said Friday that the administration would not undertake currency intervention.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has refrained from labeling China a currency manipulator in Treasury’s semi-annual foreign exchange policy report to Congress, reneging on Trump’s campaign promises to do so on “day one” of his presidency.
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Canadian dollar slumps despite the positive backdrop August 19, 2019 at 05:44PM
- Gold & Volatility Drop, Stocks Rise as Trade War Jitters Ebb
- US Dollar Rises Ahead of Jackson Hole, US-China Trade Talks
- NEWS: Pence: Beijing needs to respect integrity of Hong Kong’s laws August 19, 2019 at 05:03PM
- NEWS: Trump says Fed should cut by 100 bps and restart QE August 19, 2019 at 04:30PM
Top Posts & Pages
- Gold Price Forecast: RSI Sell Signal Takes Shape
- NEWS: China interest rate liberalisation announced- one step closer to free-floating yuan August 19, 2019 at 01:57AM
- NEWS: More from Trump - China wants to make a deal, we'll see what happens August 18, 2019 at 09:39PM
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Could Accelerate If It Breaks $10,600
- NEWS: More on China lending reforms - new bank loans to be cheaper from this week August 19, 2019 at 04:14AM
- Yuan wobbles on Trump trade comments, details of China rate reforms awaited
- US Dollar May Rise vs Nordic FX From Trade Wars, FOMC Minutes
- NEWS: Weekend Italy: 5-Star Movement says Salvini no longer a credible partner August 18, 2019 at 11:08PM
- NEWS: Event risk playbook for the week beginning August 19 August 18, 2019 at 03:23PM
- NEWS: Japan - Reuters Tankan report - manufacturing index hits lowest since 2013 August 19, 2019 at 12:03AM