July 14, 2019 at 12:21PM
Canada and New Zealand are the most vulnerable economies to a correction in house prices, with Australia and the U.K. also drawing concern, according to new research from Bloomberg Economics. Seeking to build a “housing bubble dashboard,” economist Niraj Shah studied ratios of house prices to rent and income as well as inflation-adjusted prices and household credit.
The results showed that Canada and New Zealand seem to be on the most unsustainable path, with the cost of housing compared with wages the highest in the world in both countries. Australia, Norway, Sweden and the U.K. also raise alarm bells, Shah said.
Policy makers may be acting already. Canada’s government has introduced a tax on foreign buyers, while overseas purchases have been banned in New Zealand. The next challenge will be whether prices keep rising as the Federal Reserve and other central banks get ready to cut interest rates.
“There’s a risk that a global round of monetary easing may fuel housing bubbles,” said Shah. “While central bankers are focused on avoiding a global economic downturn, looser monetary policy could sow the seeds of the next crisis.” House prices have only just returned to the peak they reached prior to the last period of financial turmoil, according to an index consisting of 57 economies.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/these-are-the-countries-most-at-risk-of-housing-bubble-20190714/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Eurostoxx futures flat in early European trading July 24, 2019 at 07:08AM
- NEWS: Nikkei 225 closes higher by 0.41% at 21,709.57 July 24, 2019 at 07:07AM
- NEWS: CHF strength: When will the SNB act? July 24, 2019 at 06:59AM
- NEWS: ICYMI: US-China face-to-face talks set to resume next week July 24, 2019 at 06:30AM
- NEWS: Aussie on the back foot ahead of European markets open July 24, 2019 at 06:22AM
Top Posts & Pages
- Boris Johnson is The New UK PM - What Next for Sterling (GBP)?
- Forex - U.S. Dollar Rises on Debt Ceiling Deal; Pound Falls
- NEWS: The Boris bounce fades; cable back below 1.2450 July 23, 2019 at 01:43PM
- NEWS: Huawei cutting over 600 jobs at U.S. research arm Futurewei July 23, 2019 at 01:35AM
- NEWS: Global Times editor: China has started buying US farm products July 23, 2019 at 01:58PM
- Bitcoin: Number of Traders Net-Short Increases by 20.4% from Last Week
- NEWS: Coca-Cola CEO: US dollar is at the end of a strong cycle July 23, 2019 at 02:16PM
- EUR/CNY Chart
- NEWS: Reports Deutsche Bank missing out on 500 million euros in income due to problem derivatives July 23, 2019 at 11:23PM
- NEWS: Bitcoin slides …. uh oh …. where's my BTC 10,000 hat again? July 24, 2019 at 01:27AM