July 11, 2019 at 10:13AM
Bitcoin is sliding after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell poured cold water on Facebook’s plans to launch a cryptocurrency. The world’s best-known digital coin — which has experienced a meteoric rise in 2019 — fell 12% to about $11,300 on Thursday, according to CoinDesk data. Bitcoin had hit a 17-month high above $13,000 just two weeks ago. It’s currently up about 200% since the start of the year, having gathered momentum as large companies like Facebook and Fidelity get involved in the space.
But it began sliding as Powell said that he held “serious concerns” about Facebook’s planned digital currency Libra. The social network is looking to launch the token alongside a consortium of companies including Uber and Visa.
“Libra raises serious concerns regarding privacy, money laundering, consumer protection, financial stability,” Powell said at a congressional committee Wednesday. “These are concerns that should be thoroughly and publicly addressed.”
Analysts have been bullish on Libra, at least from the perspective that it could pave the way for more adoption of cryptocurrencies. But the Facebook-led project has been clouded by regulatory concerns, with central bankers and politicians around the world expressing skepticism.
“It seems that the market wasn’t ready to break a fresh highs just yet, and (bitcoin) is now back near the low end of its most recent range” of $10,000 to $14,000, Mati Greenspan, senior market analyst at eToro, told CNBC by email Thursday.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/bitcoin-falls-sharply-as-feds-powell-flags-serious-concerns-about-facebooks-cryptocurrency-20190711/
Selected by fonecable.com
Search Web: Bitcoin falls sharply as Fed’s Powell flags ‘serious concerns’ about Facebook’s cryptocurrency
- NEWS: Erdogan and Pence reach a deal to suspend Turkish incursion in Syria – report October 17, 2019 at 06:20PM
- NEWS: Trump picks his own Doral resort to host G7 summit October 17, 2019 at 05:45PM
- NEWS: Tusk: If there is an extension request, I will consult member states October 17, 2019 at 05:42PM
- NEWS: Tusk: We are waiting for votes from UK and EU parliament October 17, 2019 at 05:28PM
- NEWS: The US-Turkey meeting has gone on far longer than planned October 17, 2019 at 05:25PM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: UK Times says Corbyn preparing to support a 2nd referendum on possible new Brexit deal October 17, 2019 at 12:48AM
- NEWS: UK fin min Javid to promise to launch “a decade of renewal” October 17, 2019 at 12:39AM
- NEWS: PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.0789 (vs. yesterday at 7.0746) October 17, 2019 at 02:15AM
- NEWS: FX option expiries for Thursday October 17 at the 10am NY cut October 17, 2019 at 02:14AM
- NEWS: Singapore exports fall for the seventh month October 17, 2019 at 01:56AM
- NEWS: More on the Australian jobs report and the drop in the unemployment rate October 17, 2019 at 01:40AM
- AUD/USD Breakout Higher in Focus as Australian Unemployment Drops
- NEWS: AUD higher on the unemployment rate drop in Australia, September jobs report October 17, 2019 at 01:36AM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - European session 17 October 2019 October 17, 2019 at 06:36AM
- NEWS: Australian employment report: Unemployment rate 5.2% (expected 5.3%, prior 5.3%) October 17, 2019 at 01:30AM