July 11, 2019 at 10:13AM
Bitcoin is sliding after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell poured cold water on Facebook’s plans to launch a cryptocurrency. The world’s best-known digital coin — which has experienced a meteoric rise in 2019 — fell 12% to about $11,300 on Thursday, according to CoinDesk data. Bitcoin had hit a 17-month high above $13,000 just two weeks ago. It’s currently up about 200% since the start of the year, having gathered momentum as large companies like Facebook and Fidelity get involved in the space.
But it began sliding as Powell said that he held “serious concerns” about Facebook’s planned digital currency Libra. The social network is looking to launch the token alongside a consortium of companies including Uber and Visa.
“Libra raises serious concerns regarding privacy, money laundering, consumer protection, financial stability,” Powell said at a congressional committee Wednesday. “These are concerns that should be thoroughly and publicly addressed.”
Analysts have been bullish on Libra, at least from the perspective that it could pave the way for more adoption of cryptocurrencies. But the Facebook-led project has been clouded by regulatory concerns, with central bankers and politicians around the world expressing skepticism.
“It seems that the market wasn’t ready to break a fresh highs just yet, and (bitcoin) is now back near the low end of its most recent range” of $10,000 to $14,000, Mati Greenspan, senior market analyst at eToro, told CNBC by email Thursday.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/bitcoin-falls-sharply-as-feds-powell-flags-serious-concerns-about-facebooks-cryptocurrency-20190711/
Selected by fonecable.com
Search Web: Bitcoin falls sharply as Fed’s Powell flags ‘serious concerns’ about Facebook’s cryptocurrency
- NEWS: The New York Fed wound back Williams comments at the most damaging time of the day – here’s why July 19, 2019 at 12:01AM
- NEWS: US dollar gaining points on New York Fed disavowing Williams July 18, 2019 at 11:31PM
- NEWS: New York Fed says Williams’ speech was not about potential policy actions at the July FOMC meeting July 18, 2019 at 11:19PM
- NEWS: Deutsche Bank Wealth Management to equity investors: quit while ahead, move to safety July 18, 2019 at 11:15PM
- NEWS: Citi forecasting a 50bp rate cut from the Federal Open Market Committee in July. July 18, 2019 at 10:44PM
Top Posts & Pages
- S&P 500 Retreat May Accelerate on NFLX, IMF Gives Trump Dollar Ammo
- NEWS: China press - More Financial Institutions Exposed to Camsing Fraud Scandal July 17, 2019 at 03:34AM
- Pound Jolted Out of Summer Slumber as No-Deal Brexit Din Grows
- NEWS: Canada June CPI data due on Wednesday - preview July 17, 2019 at 03:29AM
- Short bets on most Asian currencies recede on Fed rate-cut prospects
- NEWS: Nomura on "an automatic stabilizer" for US stocks leading into July 31 July 17, 2019 at 11:13PM
- Pound Could Plunge to Parity Against Dollar on a No-Deal Brexit
- GBPUSD Downtrend May Be Amplified by BoE Credit Assessment, Brexit
- Gold Price Rips & USD Dips Sharply as Fed Rate Cut Bets Surge
- NEWS: EURUSD approaches first target area. July 17, 2019 at 05:15PM