* US equities close lower with DJ closing 254 points lower , down 1% as Walmart posts worst day since January 1988. S+P -0.58% .
* Asian stocks trade supported with Nikkei +0.21%.
* US Treasuries in tight range overnight.
* Gold hits one-week low on strong dollar.
* US $28bn 2y notes auction found decent demand with bid/cover slightly below-average.
* Japan Vice Finmin Asakawa voiced concern on strong yen.
* BoJ Funo sees no need to be too pessimistic on economy.
* Nikkei manufacturing PMI slipped 0.8pts to 54.
* ECB Latvian central bank President Rimsevics said he can attend today’s Governing Council meeting after being detained on corruption charges. Unity Party calls for no-confidence vote. Defence Ministry said corruption claims may be due to disinformation campaign “from outside”.
* 62 UK lawmakers called on PM May to ditch Brexit transition period
* UK For Sec Johnson describing Brexit process as “a mess” during private meeting with senior German officials.
* Data today sees Markit Services/Mfg PMIs from France at 8am , Germany 8.30am and Eurozone 9.30am.
* UK job+wage data at 9.30am
* US Mortgage applications at 12.00 then Mfg Pmis’s at 2.45pm and Home sales at 3pm.
* Speakers Today include Fed Harker at 2.00pm, BoE Carney, Broadbent at 2.15pm